Monday, October 13, 2008

Will I ever catch up?

Make that, will I ever catch my breath again?

Chasing my darling , yet often extremely stubborn 2 1/2 year old wears me out now and then. Carrying this (-25) day old baby boy keeps me fatigued pretty much daily. = Life is exhausting right now, let me tell you.

Here's a synopsis:

1. I love my husband. He keeps me sane. Saturday was our first date night since we moved here. (Go ahead, cry for/with me) All we could do was eat a light meal and sit there at Jason's Deli and TALK for an hour and a half, so wonderful. Uninterrupted... we talked like we hadn't really visited in months. Probably because between school, fatigue, and Syd we have our hands full... Thank heavens our friend could babysit! Best conversation in a long time... :) Love him.

2. My daughter is a tyrant. But I love her too... we're putting on the discipline more thick these days. She needs it, we need it. Pray for us...

3. Our good friends, the Johnsons - the first people we met here in Lubbock, that helped us so much and are still so wonderful to us - just learned of their son's death in Iraq. What a tragedy. He has a young family... We are mourning with them...

Sounds as if we aren't enjoying ourselves here at all, which isn't entirely true... Although Pace is revving up for mid-terms and finals, we do manage to get out as a family every now and then...
Here's proof:




We made it to the fair! A fun night. Syd rode in the stroller, content to watch the mobs of people walking all over. It was almost like a date :)



Here things took a slight turn for the worst... I let Syd down for a minute to be free to see the rabbits, and... well, she didn't want to get back in her stroller. An enormous tantrum later, a kind elderly woman walked over to try and coax Syd into calming down. She sympathetically asked me, "Oh, is she ADD?" Ha! I still laugh to this day. I just smiled and said, "No, she's just 2." My friend Ashley made me laugh even more. When I told her she said, "No... And may you have several just like her." Gotta love it. :)



I left for 2 hours (RS Broadcast - wonderful) and came home to Syd and Daddy "swimming" in the playpool in the back yard. Sweet Daddy-daughter time... but what's wrong with her suit, honey?

Another law student's wife, Missy, and I - she has a cute son named Kayden, plays a lot with Sydney. She and I hang out, helps keep each other sane :) Anyway, she asked us to go with her and her kids to the Apple Butter Festival last month. Too cute and fun! Sydney loved the live music and the petting zoo. I dug on the apple turnovers and ice cream - leave the pregnant women to our vices! :) Here are some pics of that outing as well:







Lastly, we enjoyed Conference immensely, watched it on the laptop in the privacy and comfort of our living room. Fantastic Saturday sessions, Sunday of course was excellent too. In between we made dinner for some sweet Elders and Pace's hometeaching partner and his family, the Buchners. Made for a great weekend.



I'll keep posting, however frequently I can... It is getting crazier, but that's the way life goes! :)

13 comments:

Brian, Lish, Lily, & Ruston said...

Sydney is getting SO big! And I LOVE the backwards swimsuit, poor girl. I hope it wasn't too uncomfortable for her, give Pace credit for trying.

Unknown said...

Holy crap! I laughed SO hard at this post-ADD?? Too funny! & her swimming suit... I about cried I was laughing so hard!! She's SO CUTE! I can't wait til you guys are here & I can play with her :)

PS- You look GREAT for being T -25 days to giving birth!

Tami said...

One things about kids is that life is never boring! Your daughter is so cute and I love the pictures of her. I love the advice people would give me when my kids were young. It made my laugh, because it so off base. It's good to hear from you. Take care of your sweet family.

sheri rog said...

•so cute about the conversation between husband & wife.
•so sorry about your friend in iraq!
•i'm getting some attitude from livie lately, too. ahhhh!
•and as for the rest? sounds like so much fun. i'm glad to have some updates FINALLY!! Ü
•oh yea...and i "lol"ed at the "add" thing.

Smith Family said...

It is getting so close until your new little one arrives! I bet you are so tired, but you are still looking great! We miss you guys here around Mesa, but it looks like you guys are doing great and having fun!

amberbuck said...

Wow you sound busy! I'm so glad you have made such good friends since you've been over there. I'm so excited for you to have your baby boy, it's gonna be so fun and you'll love having a boy. I met your sister Ashleigh over at the Whitings, she is so nice and easy to talk to, just like you! Hang in there!

The Blakes said...

I totally empathize with you. Having a toddler is the MOST bittersweet thing I've dealt with to date, especially while being pregnant. Check back with me when we have teenagers and maybe I'll be singing another tune.

And yay for date nights.

Didion 6-Pack said...

Yay! Finally another post from you :o) I'm glad you're doing well, and thank you for sharing your friend's pumpkin patch experience! Hers was so much more eventful than mine! Funny that we went to the same place on the same day. Wish I would have known so I could have helped that poor girl! Glad to see a picture of you on here. My thought was that you carry your baby like it's a boy and then I realized it IS a boy. Keep posting, can't wait to hear the good news when he comes. Love ya

MSorenson said...

Ahhhhh! Only 22 days left! I was so happy to see a post! I have been missing seeing what is going on with you guys and cute Sydney. You look awesome, I wish I could have looked that good, that close to delivery, or after for that matter. Keep posting, it makes the time till you are here go by faster! For me at least;)

TF said...

Ooh, wow! Too funny! (All of it!) SOunds like life is interesting for you. You think two is bad, just wait till she turns three :)!!!!

ecuakim said...

Love this post, Gwen. I cannot believe how beautiful Sydney is. I mean. Seriously. She just gets more and more darling every day! Glad you are making the best of it. Gotta be tough. Jose's thinking about going back to school. I'm terrified! But all will be well. Whatever happens, right?!

Kim said...

You've been keeping busy. Thanks for the laughs. I laughed extra about the ADD thing, mainly because when Lindsey was 2 my grandmother-in-law gave me a book about ADD/ADHD because she was concerned about Lindsey. I hope things continue to go good with your pregnancy.

ashley said...

oh, i love this post! especially the swim suit... and the stories... and darling Syd! we sure like having you here in TX. :)