Tuesday, August 26, 2008

The lovely transition of doctors...

So, now that we're here and can choose a doctor, here is my dilemma:

I plan to try to do a VBAC
(vaginal birth after cesarean). I have only 10 weeks left to get ready for a (let's be honest) somewhat terrifying ordeal, and the past two days have brought some unsettling, yet at times, reassuring information as far as my options here. It's kind of lengthy, but here goes.

Two hospitals to choose from:
Option #1: Offers a higher rate of C-sections (20% above the national average) and the majority of their doctors don't work with VBAC patients. While it's a nice facility, they seem to be more "modern medicine-ized" and less natural in their birthing process. Makes me nervous that my ambitions of a successful VBAC would fly out the window should I go there. I'd then be recovering from major surgery away from family, with two kids to care for and an absent (schooling) husband/father. (Not my first choice.)

Option #2: A hospital where they perform a lot of successful VBAC's! Their C-section rate is several points lower than the national average, and to boot, a lot of our friends work there and can't say enough good about the facility and the overall care/competency of the doctors. So what's my problem?

It's just that this hospital is a university hospital where their patients are seen by a pool of resident doctors, overseen by attending physicians. I mean, yes residents are MD's, and the attending physicians are highly revered - I mean absolutely no disrespect. However, I am REALLY uncomfortable with the idea of not seeing the same doctor throughout my pregnancy, labor, and delivery. Not to mention, being seen by so many different people! I feel like cattle being pushed through whatever system is available!!!! A guinea pig kind of. Anyway, it's enough to make a rock solid woman shrink, let alone an already emotional, 7.5 months pregnant, VBAC seeking woman who fears the process still altogether! I can't tell you how much I cried - sobbed today, unable to decide between two rather uncomfortable/different alternatives. I finally talked to Pace, prayed, and here's what we came up with (for now).

It's important to me to try a VBAC. I have had really good feedback about the university hospital as a whole so why not give this system a try? Who knows, maybe it won't bother me to see different people once I am exposed to the process. And maybe I'll see it as a positive to have so many different people involved in my care (weep, weep). I guess I just need to have a better attitude...

14 comments:

The Jessups said...

Well, my doctor was out of town when I had Stone, so her partner delivered him. I was EXTREMELY nervous when I went in (esp. because she was such a new doctor), but I LOVED her. She was awesome (I liked her even more than my doc). Then, my doctor up and moved to Colorado (no warning), so I went to my 6 week check up to a DIFFERENT partner (the doctor who delivered Stone wasn't available). And though it was not ideal, it ended up being great, and I really loved the different doctors I worked with. So if that's worth anything...

sheri rog said...

i too, think you'll be happy about it once you've gone. i saw many different people with olivia (even during the delivery 'cause i was pushing for so long) and i really felt well looked after.

the only thing i hated was it was THAT many more people looking at my...YOU KNOW WHAT! so, if you're not shy then i say GO FOR IT, they've got the good stats to show.

hope you're doing well on top of that. i'd love to go to lunch...oh well!

Unknown said...

It sucks having to change in the middle of everything! The bright side of having so many doctors to see you is you can get an appointment whenever you want :). I think it'll be a good experience- just remember to be patient with the new-B's & you can always ask for the senior resident/ head Dr. if you want a 2nd opinion to what the resident is suggesting :). I'll pray that everything will go well!

Raina said...

Sounds stressful! I feel for you! I hope your body works right and everything turns out ok. I hope your family can come out and help you. Hang in there!

tiffany said...

So many decisions! My thoughts are with you!

Brian, Lish, Lily, & Ruston said...

Good luck, Gwen! It's so tough to make all the right decisions, but the cute babies are so worth it. And, don't let people worry you about having two, it's not really that hard! That was my worry, I think I let people get me worked up about having two exactly 18 months apart, but it's a lot of fun. I'm sure you will be in the moment and be thinking about the excruciating pain you will be in and not give a crap about which doctor is there as long as THAT BABY IS COMING OUT!! :) Can't wait to see him!

MSorenson said...

I think you are so wise to try the VBAC. The great thing about a teaching hospital is they should have the most up to date information about everything. Plus they monitor things really closely and you do always have the option of the doctor that oversees them. I'm sure you are making the right decisions for your sweet family. Thank goodness for epidurals!!!

Family Piñol Plattner said...

"When you have the Lord on your side, you cannot fail!"
I had a C-section and then natural birth and everything went fine, just pray have Pace give you a blessing and trust in the Lord!
I had also some homeopathic stuff (however you write that :)) that helped me at the birth for the contractions and I had Nerea in 5 hours.
So-good "luck" and lots of blessings!

ecuakim said...

I agree with some of the other comments...I think this "resident" hospital will do everything possible to make it a good experience for you BECAUSE they are young and wanting to succeed and haven't gotten old and lazy yet. Plus, after you have two or three different nurses/doctors checking your cervix for dilation (speaking from experience) or whatever, you get over the shyness. No biggie. For real. You'll be fine!

Family Piñol Plattner said...

Of course I will help you with that, I hope they have the same ones.
I started 8 weeks before the birth with "Pulsatilla 9CH" and "Arnica 9CH", 5 globules every day. 8 days before your due-date "Caulophyllum 9CY" twice a day 5 globules. At the birth: "Caulophyllum 15 CY" one dosis, and "Actea racemola 9CY" (I think it´s called that way, if not it´s something similar, but they will know, if you tell what it´s for) 5 globules every 10 minutes. Here in Spain they don´t let you drink while in labor in case they have to operate, so with this it helped to not have the mouth so dry.
Well, I hope it helps and you can get it.

ecuakim said...

Hey, Gwen. I think maybe you should talk to Michelle after she starts feeling better, about her experience in a "student" hospital. It might cause you to think twice. Sorry.

Smith Family said...

So much to think about...crazy!! I have been meaning on commenting on your blog to tell you how cute I think your new place looks! It must be feeling more like home with all of your stuff! I hope you guys are liking living there-- we miss you here!!

sheri rog said...

where have you been posting lately? 'cause it sure isn't at this blog!! get on it, my friend!

Craftewoman said...

What a difficult decision to make. I didn't even know they allowed women to give birth vaginally after a c-section. What an adventure! I understand your hesitation in each situation, but you need to remember that The Spirit will guide you to what's right. Have faith in that. You know in each of my deliveries, my OB hasn't been the one to deliver the baby at the hospital anyway. It's whoever is on call, and usually I've never met them before. Then, there's the all the nurses! I went through three shifts with Sophia! She was born Sunday, BTW! Good luck, sweetie. I'll be thinking about you!