Tuesday, September 18, 2007

RawlinsFam Beginnings...

Or, if you're a french Quebecuer, it's "bE-ginnings". (Ha! Melanie, that was for you. Love you! :) I got tagged by my friend/mission sister Nikki! Thank you! This is a fun one. :)

1. Where did you meet your husband? At Bishop Vance's house - our first activity in a newly divided single's ward. I call it fate. Pace, he liked my shoes. I later learned he IS a shoe horse. :)

2. What was the first thing you said to your husband?
I think he spoke to me first, really. He and Gavin were sitting next to us (my sister and I - we were crying inside about having to leave our old ward...) They were sweet. Seriously, Pace told me he liked my shoes (they were pretty cool. Ha!).

3. Where was your first date? This is where the story gets interesting... An entire year later (after Bishop Vance and a counselor in our ward BOTH told Pace he should take me out, plus other people commenting on how we ought to get together...) we went out as a group of friends for New Year's Eve. (For more details on this read the "Wow Stories" post further down the blog.) Later in the evening we were at my house watching TV and... he kissed me. :) That counts as our first date. The next night we went to see the movie Spanglish (gay). But, I was struck, for SURE. Before New Year's Eve I had had enough time to see how great of a person he is, serving in the ward, being sweet to EVERYONE. He had started to notice me more too (in his own time)... And we HIT IT OFF. :)

4. Where was your first kiss? On the mouth. :) Just kidding, read above #3.

5. Did you have a long or short engagement/courtship? Short on both. Allow me to reiterate, we had had a year to get to know each other as friends/acquaintances... Once we actually started dating it took only 2 months to feel like we may be getting married (each has admitted to that), and just 3.5 months from the fist kiss to be engaged. We were married June 17th (do the math - that's 5.5 months from our first date). Exciting, perfect, and RIGHT. That's all I can say. Plus, a BLESSING!! With Pace I really feel like I won the lottery!

6.Where did you get engaged? On top of South Mountain - it's his "spiritual mountain". Very special. :) The little dor
k tricked me though. On our way there (it was his birthday - I had hoped he would propose that day, but...) he faked a phone call from his jeweler saying, "Oh, ok... So that one's been sold? Well, I'll have to bring her in again. I'll call you later." He just wanted it to be a surprise. I was happy when he pulled out the "birthday present" box hidden in his backpack and asked me to help him open it (a gift from his mom, supposedly). Cute. :)

7. How was the honeymoon? Fabulous! A 10 day cruise through the inside passage of Alaska. We played basketball at midnight with plenty of sunlight.. ate a ton. Hot tubbed on the deck. It was AWESOME!! Thanks, Kim and DeRay! (Pace's parents)



We were very rested once we got home - a blessing, too. My father died only 3 weeks after we were married. I came back to him in the ICU, unable to speak, move or do anything. A HARD time, but we got through it, along with my entire family. I know he's better now and I am grateful the Lord allowed him to live to see Ashleigh and I get married!

So... Let's hear some of your bE-ginnings. :) I tag Alishia, both Jamie's (if your name's Jamie, I tag you), Rachel, Keri, and Kimmie. I suppose, Kimmie, you won't mind filling this one out. :) Love ya!

10 comments:

The Blakes said...

It was fun to read your story! I love a good tag!

Unknown said...

I love you're #4! You're a dork, but at least you're funny!!

Auburn said...

Loved that post!! You all are lucky to have found each other. We're going to be back on AZ in two and a half weeks, so let's get the girls together soon!

the Painters said...

that is so neat that Pace is Lebanese. My father's side is mostly Syrian but a few are Lebanese, My cousins and aunt and uncle live there. My grandma and other cousins live in Syria. It's just a hop skip and a jump away from Leb. I could tell Pace is something other than a whitey!

the Painters said...

Ok I just read your list. So sweet you two! I was heartbroken to hear that your father passed though. TOUGH. You are a strong lady to get through that so gracefully. has anyone ever told you your daddy looks kinda like Billy Joel?

Debbie said...

Mike has always credited himself getting you two together but personally, I think it was just meant to be!! So glad to be able to be a part of it though! XOXOX

Jordan and Nikki Brown said...

So fun to read! I'm sorry to hear about your father's passing. If I understand, then, you and Ashleigh got married on the same day, or at least had your reception together? Talk about efficient!!

Keri said...

Hey you, we are in town and would love to hang out sometime! my cell is 480-383-9241

Ashley (Belnap) Whiting said...

FUN! I have still yet to be tagged, maybe one day...

Jaime S. said...

Hey Gwen,
I didn't know that about your father. Thanks for sharing. It was fun meeting more of your family at the broadcast. Thanks for hanging with me. Oh, and thanks for the tag ;)